Quick Links: Religious School Teacher • BEECC Early Childhood Teacher
WE ARE: Congregation Beth Emeth, a vibrant and welcoming Conservative synagogue in Northern Virginia and home of the USY Seaboard Chapter of the Year, for 2 of the last 4 years, is seeking a new Youth Director.
YOU ARE: A Jewish, energetic team player who will bring excitement and enthusiasm for Jewish youth programming, including an ability to engage with, relate to, and build relationships with students grades K-12. You have the knowledge and skills to lead, but also a willingness to collaborate and a desire to innovate. Must have the ability to communicate with parents, teens and staff members.
Number of hours per week: 20 (potential for additional hours/pay)
General Duties and Structure
The primary mission of the Youth Department is to engage our youth while promoting and fostering the ideals of Conservative Judaism by developing broad-reaching programs that provide opportunities for socialization and fellowship, personal and spiritual growth, Tzedakah and community service, and education outside of our established school program.
The Youth Director provides vision, leadership, and direction to the Congregation’s youth, grades K-12, recognizing primary responsibility to the established United Synagogue Youth Groups (USY and Kadima). Responsibilities include administration and supervision of the Youth program, including enforcement of the policies as set forth by the Youth Activities Committee.
The Youth Director reports directly to the Executive Director of Congregation Beth Emeth, with oversight by the Chair of the Youth Activities Committee and the Board. The Youth Director works closely with the Religious School Director and BEECC Preschool Director to ensure consistent programming and continuity for the students and their families, and to provide a smooth transition among the grades and activities.
- Content: Ensure high quality and balanced programming, including social, religious, educational, social action, fundraising, athletic, and cultural, for all groups; ensure content is age-appropriate and consistent with Jewish values
- Specific Programming Requirements: Assist with leading teen High Holiday services; develop and lead “2nd Monday” programs for elementary-aged youth; in coordination with Religious School Director, create and lead B’Yachad family programs. Staff conventions and encampment.
- Supervision: Responsible for recruiting, training, and evaluating Kadima and USY Advisors.
- Finance: Responsible for budget planning and oversight in consultation with advisors and the appropriate committees; manages payroll process for Youth Department employees
- Logistics: Responsible for developing and maintaining Youth Department calendar and for coordination of physical plant for all Youth activities; also, responsible for oversight of youth group registration and event registration
- Communication: Responsible for communications with parents and families, synagogue staff, lay leadership and congregation as a whole; also, responsible for networking with community-at-large, both Jewish and non-Jewish
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience working with children and teens through religious school teaching, Jewish camping, social work or other relevant settings.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: [email protected]