Quick Links: Administrative Assistant • Religious School Director • Teach at CBE
We are a vibrant and welcoming Conservative synagogue in Northern Virginia looking for a Religious School Director. Our current Director is retiring in June 2019; position beginning in May 2019.
GENERAL DUTIES AND STRUCTURE
The primary mission of the Beth Emeth Religious School (RS) is to give our children the basic tools and inspiration to live their lives as Conservative Jews. The curriculum offers instruction in Hebrew, prayer and ritual; Jewish history and cultural heritage; Torah studies and Jewish beliefs and ethics; Israel, current events relating to Israel and Judaism. The Director provides vision, leadership, and direction to the Congregation’s K to 10 formal educational programs.
HOURS: 35 hours a week
Creation of a positive school climate; formulation of the curriculum and course of study in consultation with, where applicable, the Rabbi and the School Committee; and the administration and supervision of the school.
Operationally, the RS Director reports to the Executive Director. The Rabbi provides advice and guidance in the educational activities of the Congregation. The Vice President for Education is the lay leader who provides oversight for the policies, procedures and budgetary issues of the school. The RS Director works closely with the Preschool Director and Youth Director to ensure consistent programming and continuity for the students and their families, and to provide a smooth transition among the grades and activities.
Program of Instruction
- Curriculum: Responsible for planning and assessment of program of instruction for Religious School Grades K to 10; program of instruction should be designed to meet benchmarks defined in United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism (USCJ) Framework for Excellence; also, provides input and guidance for development of Special Needs curriculum
- Shabbat/Yom Tov B’Yahad: In coordination with Youth Director, schedules, plans and implements program of instruction
- Mifgashim (Family Programming): Coordinates and manages program of instruction for grade-level mifgashim, in coordination with appropriate faculty
- B’nai Mitzvah Instruction: Responsible for oversight of B’nai Mitzvah program of instruction
- Student Religious Services: Responsible for oversight of religious services for elementary school-aged children for Shabbat, High Holidays and Festivals
- Supervision: Responsible for recruiting, training, and evaluating Religious School faculty, including Special Needs Coordinator, B’nai Mitzvah instructor(s), leaders of student religious services, Religious School Administrative Assistant, and Madrachim; also, responsible for providing student supervision via classroom observations and for performing regular student assessments
- Finance: Responsible for budget planning and oversight in consultation with the appropriate committees; manages payroll process for Religious School employees
- Logistics: Responsible for developing and maintaining Religious School calendar and for coordination of physical plant for all Religious School classes and activities; also, responsible for oversight of student registration, enrollment, class and session placement
- Communication: Responsible for communications with parents and families, synagogue staff, lay leadership and congregation as a whole; also, responsible for networking with community-at-large, both Jewish and non-Jewish
Bachelor’s degree as well as experience in Jewish education and administration, working with children, or other relevant experience.
Please send your resume and cover letter to: [email protected]
Congregation Beth Emeth, a Conservative Synagogue in Herndon, Virginia, is looking for a part time (20 hours a week) Administrative Assistant for our busy front office. Must have strong communication and organizational skills as well as experience with Microsoft Word and Excel. Proficiency at utilizing social media a plus, but not required. Duties to include: answering and directing phone calls, greeting and directing visitors, assistance with mailings, data entry, meeting preparation, and general administrative support. If interested, please send resume and cover letter to our Executive Director, Melissa Heifetz: [email protected]."