Celebrate Passover 2019/5779 with the Beth Emeth Community
Passover Message from Rabbi Mina
Passover is more than a holiday in Jewish tradition. The story of the Exodus of the Jews from Egypt, from a group of slaves to a free nation, is part and parcel of our very identity as Jews. The tefillin traditional Jews wear during daily prayer contain a reference to the Exodus. Three times daily our prayers reference the crossing of the Red Sea, the final act freeing us from those who would enslave us. And on Shabbat and holidays the Kiddush blessing over the wine references our Yetziat Mitzrayim - going out of Egypt.
In addition to the historical significance, Passover is associated with Spring and the annual renewal of the earth after a long winter. And finally, there is something incredibly powerful in the actions of the annual seder, our reading of the Haggadah, and our gathering with family and friends.
This year, as always, we at CBE hope to help you find personal meaning in this important festival. There are a variety of activities to participate in and resources to help you celebrate, listed below. Please don't hesitate to contact me if I can answer any questions to help you have a meaningful Passover!
Preparing for Passover
Special Passover Program with Murray Spiegel!
- 9:15-10:15 AM, Religious School grade 3-7 students will learn 300 Ways to Ask the Four Questions (Grades K-2 will participate in Chopped Charoset Chaos the same morning.)
- 10:30 AM-Noon: Adults will find out how to make our seders supremely entertaining, educational and unforgettable, over coffee & pastries. (RSVP for adult session appreciated, to [email protected])
- Order Murray's book, DVD and/or CD in advance to have the book autographed!
- Friday, April 19, 7:00 - 8:00 AM: Fast of the First Born – Siyyum
- Saturday, April 20, 9:00 AM: Shabbat/Pesach Morning Service with Intergenerational Participation. New, young readers (pre-B’nai Mitzvah), Madrichim, parents and siblings of students will participate in the service. CBE members, if you would like to participate, please contact David.
- Sunday, April 21, 9:00 AM: Second Day Morning Service
- Friday, April 26: 9:00 AM: Passover Seventh Day Morning Service
- Saturday, April 27, 9:00 AM: Shabbat/Pesach Morning Service with Intergenerational Participation and Yizkor. New, young readers (pre-B’nai Mitzvah), Madrichim, parents and siblings of students will participate in the service. CBE members, if you would like to participate, please contact David.
During Passover, please do not bring food or beverages into the synagogue. Passover snacks will be provided for BEECC and Religious School students during this time.
Need a seder? Have room at the seder? Are you new to the area or don’t have extended family nearby and looking for a friendly seder? Have extra seats at your seder? Please email the office or call 703-860-4515x101 with info on how many people you can host or need to be hosted. Sorry, we can only accomodate Beth Emeth members and prospective members and BEECC preschool families.
- Sunday, April 7, during regular Religious School hours:
- Grades K-2: Chopped Charoset Chaos
- Grades 3-7: Murray Spiegel 300 Ways to Ask the Four Questions
- Thursday, April 11, BEECC Community Passover Event
Youth Group Passover Events -- coming soon!
Download the Hametz sale form and send/bring it to CBE with a check for a donation to the Rabbi's Discretionary Fund. There is an ancient custom to collect funds before Passover to help those in need. In the past, our Ma'ot Chitim Fund has been distributed to groups such as Mazon and the American Jewish World Service. This year we shall also distribute money to local food banks.
Rabbinical Assembly's Passover Guide — Explains the holiday, Conservative observance, "Kosher for Passover" and much more.
Stop by the Marilyn Rosenberg Sisterhood Giftshop in the CBE lobby for all your Passover table and ritual needs. All regularly-priced Passover items will be 20% off during the month of April. New merchandise continues to arrive. Stop in when at CBE to purchase these wonderful products! We accept cash, checks and credit cards. Don’t see it? We will order it especially for you!
Open Sundays 9:00 AM to 12 Noon & Wednesday 4:30-7:00PM (when Religious School is in session). See the Gift Shop page for more info and regular hours. For special requests and appointments at other times, please contact: [email protected].
Shop “The Shop” not the NET -- Support your Shul!
Let's add to our collection!
CBE Passover Recipe Exchange! Have a great Passover recipe or 2 to share with fellow CBEers? Send them to [email protected]. Include source, brief comments, link if from an online site, photo if available.
Want to try a new dish (that's recommended by a friend?) Check out www.bethemeth.org/passover-recipe-exchange. And keep coming back as we post more! A Happy and Tasty Passover to all!
WIN/WIN at the seder with eMitzvah Israel Bonds for Afikoman. No trip to the mall, full of mitzvah and Zionism, face value plus interest at maturity. eMitzvah Bonds $36, $54, $72, $90 (online only) and Mazel Tov Bonds $100 ($10 increments to $2500 per person per day). Invest online at israelbonds.com, contact [email protected] or call 888 764 2631. Development Corporation for Israel. This is not an offering, which can be made only by prospectus. Read the prospectus carefully before investing to fully evaluate the risks associate with investing in Israel bonds. Member FINRA.